Safe Refueling Tips
- Turn off your engine before beginning to refuel.
- Never smoke, light matches or use lighters when refueling at the pump or when you are using gasoline anywhere else.
- Stay outside of your vehicle while you are refueling in case something goes wrong and you need to press the emergency stop button.
- Do not use your cell phone or other electronic devices while filling up your tank. Static electricity from the device can cause the fuel to ignite when phones or other devices light up when they ring. In theory, these devices can release enough energy to provide a spark. Leave these items in your car and make the call when you are done.
- When dispensing gasoline into a container, only use an approved portable container. Place it on the ground when you are filling it up to avoid a possible static electricity ignition of the gasoline vapors. Never fill these containers in your car or on the bed of a pickup truck.
In the event that static electricity does cause a fire to occur, leave the nozzle in the fill pipe and move away from your vehicle. Then, notify the station attendant immediately so they can rectify the problem and call for assistance.
We may specialize in insurance, but we care about your safety, too. Call us today to learn more about all of our risk management and insurance solutions for your auto, home and life.