Here are some solar-powered savings tips sure to help your bank balance:
- Turn off the air conditioner – Obviously, your air conditioner is no good to you if you never use it, but try to pattern AC use around the weather and time of day. For those times when it’s breezy or simply warm, a fan and open windows work just as well and for far less money.
- Replace air conditioner filters – Dirty filters restrict airflow and can cause the system to run longer, increasing energy usage. Experts recommend changing your filters every 30 to 60 days or more frequently if you have pets or allergies.
- Take advantage of long daylight hours – One of the best benefits of the long summer days is reducing the need for lighting in your home.
- Cook outside – Using a stove or oven can create excess heat inside your house. Grilling is one of the best ways to take advantage of the outdoors when the weather is nice—and keeps your indoors cool.
- Let laundry dry outside.
- Plan ahead for future projects – The end of summer is one of the best times of year for big discounts on home and garden materials.